Sunday, December 21, 2008

Week 6: Calorie Depletion and Training the Mind - Coach Wayne's World is not so excellent


Unless you have less than 2% body fat, Coach Wayne guarantees that his calorie depletion workout will not kill you. He was right, but I was lucky Dennis didn't kill me when I got home, because calorie depletion makes me very very cranky, even after I've eaten.


We were instructed to stop eating after 6pm on Friday evening, and skip breakfast on Saturday morning. Workout part 1 started at 9 am and ended at 12 pm. We did a 3 hour brick workout (Bike 40 min, run 20 min x 3) on nothing but water and electrolytes. The intention of the workout was to creat a 'bonk' scenario (condition when an athlete suddenly loses energy and becomes fatigued, the result of glycogen stores in the liver and muscles becoming depleted.) We were instructed to take note of how we were feeling mentally and physically. At first I had a growling stomach, then I felt really tired - like I could lay down in the grass and take a nap, then I felt really annoyed - like this sucks, then I felt a little dizzy - nothing serious, but equilibrium was a little off, then I couldn't keep track of what number interval I was on or how many I was supposed to do. During the workout, I tried not to think about my lack of food, but it was pretty much impossible since everyone around me kept saying things like "I'm so f*ing hungry" or "I can't stop thinking about cheeseburgers".


At noon, we took at 20 minute break for lunch, Yes! Unfortunately, due to poor planning, all I had for lunch was a whole food whole meal bar and more electrolyte drink, bummer! This was enough to replace the missing calories, but it didn't do much for my emotional need to eat real food. Lesson learned, I'll be packing turkey sandwiches on race day. Again, we were instructed to take note of how many calories we were consuming and how we felt physically and mentally. The point of the calorie depletion excercise was to 1) train our bodies to continue physical effort when our mind is telling us to lay down and take a nap and to 2) train our minds to recognize the symptoms of calorie depletion and to take in measured calories with the confidence that we will recover.


After our 20 min lunch/bathroom break it was back in the saddle for Workout part 2. Cycling clinics and drills followed by strenth training. The drills and clinic were really helpful. I seriously need to work on my bike handling skills. I can ride my bike for 56 miles, max out at 40 miles per hour, and climb a 5 mile 1,000 ft grade - but I cannot ride my bike with no hands. Lame!


Strenght training was a blur. I did all of my crunches, squats, push-ups, etc. but my mind was on the prize - pizza and a beer!


Condition: Hungry like a wolf


No comments: