Sunday, December 14, 2008

Week 5: Giving Masters Swim the Ol' College Try


Swimming has always been my most comfortable discipline of the three (swim, bike, run), but I was greatly humbled this week in the pool. My friend, Steven, talked me into giving Masters Swimming a try. I hesitantly joined him at the Temescal Pool in Oakland and spent the better part of an hour trying not to get lapped by the much faster women in my swim lane. [It was anyting but comfortable.] The focus of the workout was hypoxic or breath control. Coach Monica screamed "I want to see your lips turn blue!" as I attempted to breath every 9 strokes, but never made it more than 6 without sucking wind. As challenging as the workout was, I loved it! Everyone in the group was very friendly, and as loud and aggressive as Monica was from the pool deck, she was equally as warm and encouraging to come back for another workout. So I went ahead and registered myself with the USMS and bought a Master Swim Pass. No pain no gain!

Condition: Out.....of.....breath.....

No comments: