Monday, July 6, 2009

Week 34: Happy Independence Day!



I had Friday off from work, so I was able to spend the day with my Team Shadow (club) Teammates. We did a really nice, yet hilly 50 mile ride. And the best part? Brunch afterwards.


How did I celebrate the independence of our country? With a 14 mile run of course. My teammate Tony set up a very well marked course in Alameda, which is right on the water (perfect weather) and is super flat (heaven). The Vineman athletes had to do a 19 mile run, so I showed up an hour after they started so that I could jump into their mile 6. For some bizarre reason, my Garmin wouldn't turn on. I was frustrated for a minute, so much of training is about building a routine. How was I going to be able to run 14 miles without knowing my time, rest interval, pace, and heart rate? Then I realized that I was overreacting. It turned out to be a fantastic run. Not having all of that information on my wrist allowed me to just go with the flow. Belinda, Tony, Nick and I kept close so were able to stay on the same rest interval and encourage each other when it started getting tough. At the end of the workout, we treated ourselves to ice cold coca-colas, nothing better! We had lunch at the local BBQ joint and watched the Alameda parade, how All-American of us?



Condition: Feeling really good about my run

No comments: