Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I Drank the Kool-Aid


Ironman: 2.4 mile open swim, 112 mile bike ride, 26.2 mile marathon.

I used to think this race was impossible and the people who trained for it were insane. But then those people became my friends and I've found myself pushing my own endurance boundaries farther than I could ever imagine. This summer, the TNT chatter started, "Who's signing up for IronTeam 2009?" Once the 2008 IronTeam triumphed in their races, the chatter was full blown, "Are YOU signing up for IronTeam?" I went back and forth in my mind with this for awhile. I'd already determined that I want to be an Iron(wo)man, the question was more a matter of when. Training for an Ironman alters your life, with every great reward comes great sacrifice. But then I realized that my life isn't going to get any simpler than it is right now. I'm 26, I live in Northern California, I don't have kids, and I have a super supportive and active boyfriend. And the icing on the cake? Coach Wayne is back!

Life is short.

No comments: